Research Triangle Institute (RTI) has over 30 years’ experience assisting governments, communities, and the private sector. As a not-for-profit, independent research institute based in North Carolina, USA, RTI has roughly 5,000 employees with global experience implementing international development projects. RTI’s Sustainable Growth & Resilience (SG&R) technical unit within the International Development Group brings together RTI experts and capabilities across food security, agriculture, energy, environment, water, governance, and economic opportunity. SG&R will leverage RTI’s experience designing and delivering multisectoral programming and technical solutions to respond to climate change, build resilience, and promote economic growth around the world.
SG&R’s Global Food Security and Agriculture portfolio is working to strengthen agricultural markets, engage youth and women as critical leaders of the on- and off-farm workforce, and tackle the dual burden of malnutrition around the globe. RTI’s work is helping foster stronger food systems, reduce malnutrition in all its forms, build resilience and engage the next generation of food security leaders. RTI is currently partnering on nearly 30 projects in East Africa, including activities focused on private sector-driven agricultural growth in Rwanda and market systems development in Kenya.
The purpose of the Feed the Future Ethiopia Transforming Agriculture activity is to increase access to healthy diets, particularly for women and children, by improving competitiveness, inclusiveness, and resilience of the Ethiopian food and agriculture system. The project will also increase incomes gained from agriculture by as much as 40 percent over the next five years. To achieve its goals the project must collaborate intensively with other USAID funded projects working in the food and agriculture sector.
RTI is seeking a Procurement Officer – Addis Ababa for Ethiopia Transforming Agriculture. The Procurement Officer will be responsible for supporting the procurement process (local and international), transport of procured goods, and oversight of asset management and inventory control. This position will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and will report to the Procurement Manager.
Your primary responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Perform all phases of sourcing activity to ensure best value and within required lead times for a variety of requirements in Ethiopia, including analysis of overall budgetary impact for all types of procurement transactions
- Support the preparation and implementation of the annual procurement plan with budget and timetables.
- Effectively negotiate with suppliers on a wide variety of commodities (agricultural technologies, protective equipment, vehicles) and services for the best overall value to the project
- Coordinate issuance of purchase orders in accordance with company policies and procedures
- Contribute to the supply chain management efforts up to and including logistical support from the ordering point through the follow-up, expediting, and delivery of the required goods and/or services
- Coordinate the freight forwarding efforts with the RTI Logistics Office and Home Office Support Team as required
- Prepare, issue, and negotiate RFQ(s) for assigned procurements such as materials, equipment, commodities, and services
- Understand and ensure compliance with legal guidelines, Federal Export Control (if applicable), contracting principles, sourcing and price/cost analysis requirements
- Assist the Home Office Support Team in the preparation of requirements of federally funded contracts for consent to subcontract, source and origin waivers and budget approvals for nonexpendable property
- Oversee logistical management of the project inventory and commodities required for operations within Ethiopia and the remote locations. Collaborate with home office and local partners on property disposition as needed.
- Conduct cycle inventory reconciliation and conduct planned inventory and post spraying inventory exercise and maintain an updated asset and inventory records for the project.
- Ensure timely reporting on stock status to program implementation staff and help program implementation staff plan stock replenishment in various locations.
- Develop and submit weekly and monthly reports to supervisor and Chief of Party on logistics and procurement for submission to RTI/Headquarters
- Support the Grants Manager to provide technical assistance as required to build capacity of local partners, grantees and project staff related to procurement.
- Manage and track the procurement goods and services for the project and grantees in compliance with approved procurement plans to ensure best value and within required lead times for a variety of requirements in Ethiopia. Obtains technical input on specifications, costs, and quality.
- Ensure the timely and documented delivery of any goods or services.
- Provide leadership of overall property management and inventory control, reports, custody control documents, reconciliations for both expendables and non-expendables according to USAID rules and regulations. Conduct regular reviews of project and grantee inventories and work with the home office on property disposition.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, supply chain or related field with 3 years of experience; or bachelor’s degree in one of the above fields with 5 years of experience.
- Working knowledge of USAID procurement procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Strong oral/written communication skills in English and ability to communicate effectively at multiple levels internally and externally, with customer-focused support.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented setting.
- Working knowledge in MS Office applications.
- Familiarity with automated accounting systems such as QuickBooks is preferred
- Proven ability to work under pressure, and with multiple concurrent demands.
- Ability to travel and work throughout Ethiopia in difficult terrain/conditions at times.