We recruit talent to build a more prosperous, fair and inclusive world. Join A Life-Changing Mission with UNDP.
II. Organizational Context
The Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) continues to strengthen its capacity in Amhara region to respond to humanitarian needs on the ground. OCHA supports humanitarian coordination efforts both at the Federal and regional levels. OCHA works in support of the United Nations Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator to facilitate a coordinated, well-resourced, and effective international relief response and the bridging of the transition from relief to recovery. Functionally, the work of OCHA breaks into four main areas: (1) coordination and operational support; (2) field monitoring and analysis; (3) information management and humanitarian reporting; and (4) resource mobilization.
OCHA Ethiopia recognizes the need to keep robust capacity in field offices to fulfill its mandate to ensure effective and predictable protection of and assistance to the most vulnerable populations through principled and hands-on field-level coordination of humanitarian actions. In this regard, the office is recruiting a full-time National Humanitarian Affairs Officer (NHAO) to be based in Bahir Dar, Amhara with the relevant competencies to support OCHA operations in the region
III. Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of key functions:
The Humanitarian Affairs Officer will support the head of OCHA sub-office in Amhara region in facilitating coordination efforts to address humanitarian needs. He/She will work under the overall supervision of OCHA head of sub-office in Amhara region. The incumbent will be based in Gonder and will work closely with the regional, zonal and woreda authorities in coordinating humanitarian action in the region.
Specific duties include:
• Work closely with the regional authorities, UN agencies, NGOs and other partners as appropriate to ensure functional and effective coordination mechanisms in the region;
• Assist the head of sub-office in organizing and facilitating field missions of OCHA staff, donors and other visitors and briefing on the overall humanitarian situation as well as the activities of OCHA and other humanitarian agencies in the region;
• Facilitate and undertake joint assessments of humanitarian needs in Amhara region to inform response planning and implementation.
• Monitor, analyze and report on humanitarian development, emergency or relief management in Amhara region;
• Maintain a close working relationship with regional, zonal and woreda government officials, NGOs, UN agencies, Red Cross Movement and local organizations to establish a cooperative network to enhance humanitarian agenda;
• Work closely with and support the regional early warning system in monitoring and reporting on hazards and its impact on communities in the region;
• Attend regular coordination and information sharing meetings as determined by the head of sub-office and assist in preparing for meetings and conferences as required;
• Work with partners in the region to ensure that information management products such as 3Ws, contact list, and briefing packs are in place and are regularly updated;
• Work with humanitarian counterparts to ensure that cross-cutting issues such as gender and protection are embedded in the humanitarian program cycle;
• Promote the dissemination and understanding of OCHA’s mandate, the humanitarian principles, and humanitarian code of conduct amongst partners in assigned areas;
• Perform other duties as may be required by the OCHA Head of sub-office in Amhara region.
• Demonstrates commitment to UNOCHA’s mission, vision, and values
• Displays cultural, gender, religion and ethnic sensitivity and adaptability
• Client Orientation
• Communication & Networking
Education: Advanced or first degree in political science, social sciences, public administration, international studies, economics, or related area.
Language and other skills:
Duty Station: Gonder, Amhara Region
Closing date: 18 February 2024
Interested applicants must submit their CVs, letter of motivation, and supporting documents to:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Job Description Menschen für Menschen Foundation is a nongovernmental, nonreligious and nonpartisan humanitarian organization involved in Integrated Rural Development activities...Apply For This Job
JOB SUMMERY Essential Function Undertake audit examination, International Review transaction and the proper functioning of the internal control procedures throughout...Apply For This Job
Job Description Position : Revenue Analyst Location : Submit your application to Ethiopian Skylight Hotel Human Resources Office Registration Date : on or...Apply For This Job
Job Description The Position: The SRH Intern will support implementation, monitoring and reporting of SRH related projects in Tigray region....Apply For This Job
Essential Functionality: Job Position: Customer Service Executive-II Purpose of the Job: To enhance customer satisfaction by handling front line customer service activities...Apply For This Job