Research Triangle Institute (RTI) has over 30 years’ experience assisting governments, communities, and the private sector. As a not-for-profit, independent research institute based in North Carolina, USA, RTI has roughly 6,000 employees with global experience implementing international development projects. RTI’s Sustainable Growth & Resilience (SG&R) technical unit within the International Development Group brings together RTI experts and capabilities across food security, agriculture, energy, environment, water, governance, and economic opportunity. SG&R will leverage RTI’s experience designing and delivering multisectoral programming and technical solutions to respond to climate change, build resilience, and promote economic growth around the world.
SG&R’s Water portfolio has delivered innovative, breakthrough solutions in key development sectors globally, including water sector governance, water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) services, water resources management, community engagement, urban resilience, and institutional capacity building.
The purpose of the five-year USAID Climate Resilient (CR) Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Activity is to support accelerated access to inclusive and resilient WASH services targeting lowlands areas.
The Activity will be based in Ethiopia and target the lowland areas of Afar, Oromia, Somali, and Southern Nations, Nationalities and Peoples Region (SNNPR).
The Activity will work to fulfill this purpose through four complementary intermediate results:
- Professionalize and expand climate-resilient water services;
- Increase sustainable access to and use of sanitation and hygiene products and services, including for menstrual health and hygiene;
- Improve gender power dynamics;
- Strengthen the enabling environment for climate-resilient water and sanitation services.
RTI is seeking an Accountant for the recently awarded USAID CR WASH Activity in Ethiopia. The Accountant will ensure appropriate systems and procedures (cash management, vendor payments, budgeting and other related items) are in place to properly disburse, account, budget and report project funds which are cost effective, timely and have proper internal controls.
The Accountant will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and report to the Finance Manager.
- Provides support for CR WASH’s finance and accounting function.
- Tracks expenses and other financial transactions, mainly involving expense entry, tracking, and record keeping;
- Prepares monthly expense reports to the RTI home office.
- Coordinates and consolidates the projection of monthly, quarterly and annual expenditures and prepares pipeline estimates for the project.
- Reviews expenses and financial transactions and ensures it is compliant with RTI procedures and terms of the agreement.
- Coordinates and consolidates the projection of biweekly cash requirements, monitors cash flow.
- Reconciles cash accounts for field offices.
- Performs the cash management functions required in maintaining RTI bank accounts.
- Manages petty cash accounts.
- Follows up with field offices to make sure that weekly expense reports are submitted within the deadline.
- Reviews and submits monthly bank reconciliations for all project countries.
- Submits report of the findings to Senior Finance and Operations Director.
- Recommends necessary ideas based on the review findings to the Finance and Operations Director and/or Regional Controller to improve the quality of reporting.
- Ensures adherence to USAID and RTI financial and accounting policies and procedures.
- Ensures adequate filing of finance documents.
- Performs other duties assigned by their supervisor.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years of experience, Master’s degree and 3 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least two years of experience working in an accountant function.
- Experience supporting USAID-funded programming preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience working with financial and banking institutions in Ethiopia.
- Solid knowledge of labor and tax laws in Ethiopia.
- Proven capacity to work under pressure, meet deadlines, and set priorities.
- High level of personal and professional integrity, motivation to perform at one’s best.
- Proficiency in computer technology and Quick Books accounting software.
- The ability to maintain confidentiality and compliance.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English; proficiency in one or more local languages strongly preferred.
- Experience in the Lowland regions of Ethiopia preferred.
- Work experience in Ethiopia required.